Greer Glazer, PhD
Dean, College of Nursing
Office: 416 Procter Hall
PO Box 670038
Cincinnati, OH 45267
To arrange interviews or learn more about the College of Nursing, please contact Angela Koenig directly at (513) 558-4625. After hours, call Koenig (513) 368-5801.
The University of Cincinnati College of Nursing builds upon its rich heritage, esteemed faculty, array of nursing degree and specialty programs, progressive research, and affiliations with major medical centers, clinical practices, and public health programs to offer students world-class education. From foundational courses through experience-based learning, research and global clinical practice, and with 1900+ students, including undergraduate, graduate and PhD candidates, we are devoted to preparing nurses and nurse leaders to meet and exceed the demanding expectations of health care.
Founded in 1889, the College of Nursing offered the first baccalaureate program in nursing in the United States, and received the first endowment given to a nursing program. In 2002 the Commission on Collegiate Nursing Education (CCNE) accredited the college for a 10-year period, distinguishing it with 71 years of continuous accreditation. The College is consistently ranked in the top 10% of nursing programs according to U.S.News & World Report.
The College of Nursing, an integral part of the University of Cincinnati, has a mission and purpose consonant with that of the university. The faculty is committed to developing nurse leaders who are empowered to generate, explore, and apply nursing knowledge for evolving health care environments.
The faculty is committed through its educational mission to: (1) the autonomy of professional nursing; (2) the preparation of professional nurses to function as an integral part of health-care delivery in a global society; (3) the integration of information technology into education programs and health care; and (4) the generation and application of theory and research for the advancement of nursing science.
The faculty advocates ongoing efforts to maintain the College’s mission as a leading College of nursing through furthering excellence in nursing education, by recruiting and retaining a diverse, high-quality student population and by attracting scholarly faculty with a broad base of expertise. The faculty is committed to the College’s mission as a research institution and as a community force providing leadership for meeting health-care needs.
The purpose of the College is to provide education and service and engage in research and scholarship. A comprehensive approach to collegiate nursing education is manifested in the undergraduate, graduate and continuing education programs of the college. More specifically, the faculty aims to provide: (1) education to prepare beginning and advanced practitioners for diverse populations; (2) opportunities for advancing nursing science; (3) education for practicing nurses to maintain, improve and expand their competencies; and (4) service and expertise to the broader community of health-care consumers. Fulfillment of the purpose of the college occurs through consistent attention to the beliefs that the faculty holds about people, the environment, health and nursing, and nursing education.
The College of Nursing at the University of Cincinnati is committed to the development and dissemination of scientific knowledge that promotes health, advances nursing practice and transforms the way health care is delivered. We have highly qualified faculty members who are making a difference in health care through their research and dissemination of knowledge. Many are nationally known for their excellence in research and scholarship. Funded research in the College of Nursing covers health care topics ranging from violence, mental health and religiosity to diabetes managment, pressure ulcers and women's health.
We have established research interest groups that focus on the issues of today's health care and nursing education. A few examples of these interest groups include: Violence and Trauma, Qualitative Research Methods, and Health Behavior Change.
1889 - The College was Founded. The College was founded as the Cincinnati Training School for Nurses through the support of the Ladies Board of Managers.
1896 - Joined the Cincinnati Hospital. We became an integral part of the Cincinnati Hospital and eventually accorded the rank of a professional school of the College of Medicine.
1916 - Became one of the first to offer a BSN. The College became one of the first schools to offer the baccalaureate degree in nursing. The educational program was reorganized to include collegiate courses in addition to the three-year hospital-based program. The result was a five-year combined baccalaureate program which granted the Bachelor of Science in Nursing degree.
1918 - Incorporated Clinical Credits. The College was the first school to grant academic credit to students for clinical work.
1938 - Program became four-year BSN as 8th college of UC. The program was changed to a four-year baccalaureate program of general and professional nursing education, and became the eighth college of the university.
1942 - Became charter member of NLN. The College became a charter member of the National League for Nursing, the national accrediting agency and has maintained its accreditation without interruption.
1947 - Received endowed chair. The Jane E. Procter endowed Chair of Advanced Nursing Education was established making us the first collegiate College of Nursing to receive an endowed chair.
1956 - One of first colleges to offer MSN. The College was among the first colleges to offer the Master of Science in Nursing degree.
1966 - Became first college to hold two endowed chairs. The Jacob G. Schmidlapp endowed Chair, to be occupied by the dean of the college, was established, making the College the first to hold two endowed chairs during that period.
1968 - Moved to Procter Hall. The College of Nursing and Health moved to its current location, Procter Hall, the first independent facility on UC’s campus dedicated to the education of practitioners of nursing. The Continuing Education Program was established the same year.
1982 - Received Robert Wood Johnson Teaching Nursing Home Project Grant. The College was one of the eleven schools of nursing nationally to receive the prestigious Robert Wood Johnson Teaching Nursing Home Project Grant for a full year funding period. The site of implementation was Maple Knoll Village. As a result of this project, the following year the College was designated a "Nursing Home Training Center” by the Ohio Department of Health. Later in 1987, the College received the Ross Laboratories Award for "Leadership in Long Term Care."
1984 - Received Ohio Board of Regents Executive Award. The College received the Ohio Board of Regents Executive Award to establish computer-assisted instruction for undergraduate students. A subsequent grant from the Helene Fuld Health Trust (1986) made it possible to complete the computer classroom and laboratory.
1986 - Received Advanced Nurse Training Grant Awards. The College received Advanced Nurse Training Grant Awards from the Department of Health and Human Services, Division of Nursing, to implement master's curriculum in Oncology Nursing (1986) and Gerontological Nursing (1988).
1986 - Received Area Health Education Center Special Initiative Award.
The College received the Area Health Education Center Special Initiative Award to establish an educational network for professional nurses employed in caring for the elderly.
1987 - Chosen to develop computer assisted interactive video for health sciences. The College became one of 15 institutions chosen by IBM to develop computer assisted interactive video for health sciences.
1990 - Received Second Helene Fund Health Trust Grant. The College received a second Helene Fuld Health Trust grant to further develop computer assisted learning.
1990 - PhD program offered. The Doctoral program (PhD) in nursing was implemented.
1990 - Center for Nursing Research established. The Center for Nursing Research, co-sponsored by the College of Nursing and University Hospital Patient Care Services, was first established in 1990. Completion of an "on site" facility was accomplished in 1992. Due to phenomenal productivity, it was officially named the Institute for Nursing Research in 1995. Under the aegis of the Institute are the Center for Gerontological Nursing Excellence (GNE) and the Center for Addiction Research (CAR).
1990 - Introduced Nursing Faculty Development for Substance Abuse Program.
The Nursing Faculty Development for Substance Abuse Program was introduced.
1992 - Established MSN/MBA dual degree program. The College established a joint master's degree with the College of Business Administration to award the MSN/MBA dual degrees.
1993 - Participation in Advanced Practice Pilot Program. The College was one of three universities in Ohio selected to participate in the Advance Practice Pilot Program.
1993 - Accelerated Pathway program offered. We were among the first programs to offer an Accelerated Pathway program which allows non-nursing degree holders to quickly become an RN and earn the MSN degree.
1994 - Project Succeed Health Initiative. We established a health initiative with Project Succeed within the Cincinnati Public School system.
1994 - Became WHO collaborating site affiliate. The College became an affiliate of George Mason University's World Health Organization collaborating site.
1995 - Established NIAP. College established the corporation for Nurses in Advanced Practice, Inc. (NIAP), a corporation of the College of Nursing. It was founded to provide nursing services on a contractual basis. One entity under this corporation is the Health Resource Center, located in the Free Store. The Center is staffed by faculty and students, who see as many as 200 indigent clients each month.
2001 - Began offering international clinical. The College began offering international community health clinical opportunities to students. The first destination was Honduras.
2002 - Became first nursing program to offer co-op. The College was the first and only nursing program to offer a Nursing Co-Op program.
2002 cont. - Established first Center for Aging with Dignity. The College established the first Center for Aging with Dignity dedicated to promoting dignity, well-being and health for the aging and chronically ill.
2004 - Established first Center for Scholarship of Teaching and Learning. The first Center for the Scholarship of Teaching and Learning was established.
2005 - Offered first distance learning programs. The College offered its first distance learning programs. The Nurse Midwifery and Women’s Health programs were offered completely online.
2005 - BSN Program expanded to Clermont Campus. The College’s undergraduate program expanded as the first Clermont BSN cohort began studies at the Clermont Campus in Batavia, Ohio.
2007 - Established Wedbush Nursing Legacy Centre The Wedbush Nursing Legacy Centre was established offering a space to showcase nursing history and memorabilia. This Centre was generously made possible through a donation from Jean and Ed Wedbush.
2008 - Established Outstanding Teaching Award. The Rosalee C. Yeaworth endowed Outstanding Teaching Award was established.
2008 - Expansion of Institute for Nursing Research & Scholarship. Under the auspices of the Institute for Nursing Research and Scholarship, three Centers were developed to support the scholarly work of faculty members. These include the Center for Extramural Funding, the Center for Educational Research, Scholarship and Innovation, and the Center for Collaborative Nursing Practice Research.
2009 - First iTunes U podcast series released. The College’s Center for Aging with Dignity released the first podcast series through iTunes U.
2009 - Classrooms 100% E-learning Equipped. All College of Nursing classrooms were upgraded to be e-learning equipped.
2009 - RN to MSN Program Offered. The College of Nursing began offering the RN to MSN program which allows individuals to progress from an associate degree or hospital-based diploma nursing program to an MSN.