|FEATURED: AHC News
Read Academic Health Center news in Featured, the weekly e-newsletter from the public relations office.
Sign up to receive it: firstname.lastname@example.org
|More Ways to Connect With Us
REMINDER: External Advisors on Campus Today, Tuesday; Online Feedback Form Live
An external advisory panel is on-site today and Tuesday to hear from Academic Health Center faculty, staff and students and leadership of UC and its affiliates. The advisors have been asked by President Santa Ono, PhD, to review the structure of the Academic Health Center and make recommendations for future organization and alignment. All are encouraged to participate in open sessions at the College of Medicine scheduled for:
- Basic science faculty and staff, 8:15 a.m., Nov. 24, MSB E-351.
- Pediatrics faculty and staff, 12:30 p.m., Nov. 24, Sabin Auditorium at Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center.
- Students, 2 p.m., Nov. 24, MSB E-351.
- Clinical faculty and staff, 7 a.m., Nov. 25, MSB E-351.
- Residents and fellows, 8:15 a.m., Nov. 25, MSB E-351.
An online feedback mechanism has also been created and will be open through Dec. 31, 2014.
>> Provide feedback anonymously online.
The advisors will share their findings with the university community Jan. 21, and a final decision about the structure of the Academic Health Center will be made by President Ono by Jan. 30, 2015. This decision will provide the necessary direction to plan search activities for permanent leadership of the Academic Health Center and College of Medicine. Additional information can be found at health.uc.edu/future.
Save the Date for 11th Annual IvaDean Concert
The 11th annual IvaDean Medical Student Scholarship Concert will be held at 7 p.m. Friday, Jan. 9, in Kresge Auditorium.
The night will include a silent auction starting at 5:30 p.m. to raise funds for scholarships.
Tickets are $5 for students/children under 12 and $15 for non-students, with the option to donate more. Call 513-558-5577 or see IvaDean Lair for more information.
Join Doximity and Take the U.S. News Survey
Board-certified physicians who claim their profile on doximity.com by Dec. 5, 2014, are eligible to take the U.S. News & World Report "Best Hospitals Survey” in their designated specialty. Doximity.com is a physicians-only social media site and platform. Note that not all specialties are being surveyed at this time by U.S. News. To claim your profile, visit doximity.com.
Litsa Kranias, PhD
Kranias Honored at AHA Scientific Sessions
Litsa Kranias, PhD, Hanna Professor and Director of cardiovascular biology and co-director of the Cardiovascular Center of Excellence at UC, was among a select group of researchers invited to discuss her contributions to cardiovascular and stroke research at the American Heart Association (AHA) Scientific Sessions Chicago 2014 Nov. 15-19.
Kranias, named a 2009 American Heart Association Distinguished Scientist, and other researchers were honored by the AHA with a special reception.
She identified a genetic variant in a cardiac protein that can be linked to heart rhythm malfunction and sudden cardiac death in dilated cardiomyopathy patients. The study was published in the October 2013 edition of the Journal of the American Heart Association; she presented new findings in this area along with potential therapeutic venues at the 2014 AHA meeting.
UC Bookstores Host Annual Open House Dec. 5
The annual UC Bookstores Holiday Open House will be held from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, in Tangeman University Center, Level 3.
The event will include cookies and drinks, plus entertainment from the Benjamin Thomas Trio (11 a.m. to 1 p.m.) as well as an additional 10 percent discount on top of the standard 15 percent discount for faculty/staff purchases.
An Apple Apps Workshop is from 10 to 10:30 a.m. From noon to 2 p.m., Michael Perry will sign his book, "Tales From the Cincinnati Bearcats Locker Room.”
Bring a canned food item for the Freestore Foodbank and get the 2014 holiday mug. Supplies are limited.
Specially Priced Tickets for UC Night at the Pops
As part of UC Night at the Pops, faculty and staff are invited to purchase specially priced tickets for the holiday concert at 8 p.m. Friday, Dec. 5, featuring Broadway star Brian Stokes Mitchell.
You can purchase half-price tickets online or over the phone by calling 513-381-3300. Use the promo code "8382” or "UC Night” to receive the special price.
>>Purchase tickets online.
There are a limited number of tickets, and tickets are on sale for a limited time only. Tickets must be purchased by Wednesday, Nov. 26.
UPCOMING LECTURES AND SEMINARS
- Center for Environmental Genetics Career Development Seminar Nov. 25: Panelists will present "Balancing Life, Family, and Career: 16 Tips for Maintaining Sanity, Productivity, and Peace” at noon in Room 121, Kettering Lab. Complimentary lunch. >> Register.
- EMS Education Evening Nov. 25: "Neuro Emergencies with Christopher Zammit, MD,” from 7 to 9 p.m. at UC Health Business Center, 3200 Burnet Ave. Parking is free; use North parking lot and entrance. For more information, call 513-558-5005 or email Kate Morgan.
- Molecular Genetics, Biochemistry and Microbiology Seminar Nov. 25: Paul Anderson, PhD, Department of Pediatrics, and Division of Experimental Hematology and Cancer Biology, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, will present "Learning About Breast Cancer Susceptibility Proteins From Fanconi Anemia” at noon in MSB 2351.
- Physiology Seminar Nov. 25: Richard Lang, PhD, Division of Developmental Biology, Cincinnati Children’s Hospital Medical Center, will present "Vascular development of the eye is regulated by myeloid Wnt ligands and a fetal light response pathway” at 4 p.m. in MSB 4051.
- Otolaryngology Grand Rounds Nov. 26: Otolaryngology chief residents will present "M&M” at 7 a.m. in MSB E-351.