|FEATURED: AHC News
Read Academic Health Center news in Featured, the weekly e-newsletter from the public relations office.
Sign up to receive it: firstname.lastname@example.org
|More Ways to Connect With Us
Ahmed Obeidat, MD, PhD
Obeidat Awarded National Multiple Sclerosis Society Clinical Care Fellowship
Ahmed Obeidat, MD, PhD, a resident in the Department of Neurology and Rehabilitation Medicine, was awarded the National Multiple Sclerosis (MS) Society Clinical Care Fellowship of the amount of $65,000 toward training in MS and related disorders. This prestigious award was only awarded to six neurologists across the country, providing one year of post-residency training with experienced mentors to optimize access to quality care and solutions for people with MS. Obeidat’s fellowship will focus on Demyelinating Disease and Neuroimmunology. He will be mentored by Elizabeth Dragan, MD, assistant professor and a neurologist with the Waddell Center for MS, part of the UC Gardner Neuroscience Institute.
Thomas Herzog, MD
Herzog Publishes Ovarian Cancer Textbook
Thomas Herzog, MD, a professor in the Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology and deputy director of the UC Cancer Institute, recently co-authored and published a textbook, Fast Facts: Ovarian Cancer, with his colleague Christina Fotopoulou, MD, a faculty member at the Imperial College London.
The book offers "a comprehensive overview of all levels of care, summarizing the most recent advances and putting them in a clinically meaningful context” for physicians.
Grant Pairs College of Medicine with Health Sciences
Awardees have been announced for a new grant program, established to facilitate research collaborations between College of Medicine full-time faculty and the Health Sciences Library (HSL) faculty and staff. The program seeks to enhance collaborative, multidisciplinary basic and clinical research by integrating an information specialist (informationist) and/or librarian into the research team to enhance research success. As well as directly impacting a research project, this program is designed to help College of Medicine faculty take advantage of new capacities in the HSL that can enhance study design, data collection and data presentation.
Grant recipients include:
- Silvi Shah, MD, Department of Internal Medicine, Division of Nephrology; Tiffany Grant, PhD; and Emily Kean, UC Health Sciences Library. Project Title: "Pregnancy Outcomes in Women with Chronic Kidney Disease.”
- Bain Butcher, MD, Department of Family and Community Medicine; Don Jason, UC Health Sciences Library. Project Title: "Transdisciplinary Collaboration between HSL (informationist) and the UC Social Innovation Lab.”
- Jeffery Hill, MD, Department of Emergency Medicine; Don Jason, UC Health Sciences Library. Project Title: "Integrating Clinical Informationists into a Knowledge Translation and Quality Improvement Project Curriculum for Emergency Medicine Residents.”
- Nanhua Zhang, PhD, Department of Pediatrics; Tara Rhine, MD, Department of Pediatrics; Tiffany Grant, PhD; and Emily Kean, UC Health Sciences Library. Project Title: "Serum Biomarkers for Traumatic Brain Injury in Children: A Meta-Analysis of Accuracy.”
- Halima Moncrieffe, PhD, Department of Pediatrics; Tiffany Grant, PhD, University Libraries; and Don Jason, UC Health Sciences Library. Project Title: "Epstein-Barr Virus (EBV) Viral Load and Systemic Lupus Erythematosus.”
UPCOMING LECTURES AND SEMINARS
- Medical Grand Rounds July 19: Faisal Syed, MD, will present "PVCs: The Good, the Bad and the Ugly,” at noon in MSB 5051.
- Center for Transplant Immunology Research Forum July 19: Fadi George Lakkis, MD, University of Pittsburgh, will present "Recognition of Allogeneic Non-Self by the Innate Immune System” from 1 to 2 p.m. in Cincinnati Children's Hospital Medical Center Location S, Room S7.125.